Old Stone Mill, Delta, Ontario
Prev | Index | Next
In the millrace (the channel leading to the waterwheel), looking north towards the entrance. The entrance (headrace) has a small cement dam, installed during restoration in the early 2000s. It contains a pipe and built in sluice control. The stones of the millrace have been repointed and concrete "curbs" added for stabilization. The water flows over the original bedrock which was black powder blasted in 1810 to form this artificial channel. A "buffer wall" used to be located outside of the mill along the north side, a wooden sluice built into it to allow water into the millrace. The millrace likely originally contained a wooden sluiceway to convey the water to the breastshot waterwheel.
You can see the remains of the original wooden covering of the raceway, protecting the first floor timbers (the millrace could fill with water and not flood into the first floor).
Return to Photo Gallery Return to Home Page
© 2017 The Delta Mill Society