Old Stone Mill Brown Bread
by Louise Richards
Place all the ingredients in a bowl.
- 4 ½ cups of Old Stone Mill Bolter Flour or Whole Grain Flour
- 2 cups of Old Stone Mill Fine Flour
- 1 ½ tbsp of instant dry yeast
- 1 ½ tbsp of table salt
- 3 tbsp of vegetable or canola oil
- 1 tbsp of brown sugar or 1 tbsp of molasses
- 1 cup of warm water
- 1 cup of warm milk
Mix for 2 to 3 minutes
Knead for approximately 10 minutes
Place dough in bowl and cover with a plate
Ferment for 1 hour 20 minutes
Turn out dough on counter and knock back
Bench for 10 minutes
Mold to desired shape (makes 2 loaves)
Proof, covered with clean tea towel, for 1 hour
Heat oven (with dry steam tray) to 450°F (230°C) for at least 5 minutes before baking.
Add small amount of water to steam tray. Bake bread for 30 minutes. Take steam tray out after 10 minutes.